FAQs for Schools, Agents and Parents, as well as further details about UKiset can be found at www.ukiset.com.
UKiset is an assessment designed for entry into British curriculum schools. The UKiset Profile provides schools with all the information they need when considering an overseas applicant. The test includes assessments of academic potential and English language skills, and the results compare candidates against British students of the same age. UKiset provides a level playing field for students from all backgrounds to apply to the best schools in the world.
Who Can Take UKiset?
UKiset is designed for students aged between 9.5 and 18 years old. They can be any nationality, even a native English speaker. We recommend that candidates have at least a basic grasp of English as there are some test instructions they will need to follow. The test results compare the candidate’s academic skills against British students of the same age and specifically against those studying in the independent sector. UKiset also assesses their level of academic English using a Cambridge English test that provides their current CEFR level.
A student may take UKiset because:
- They want to apply to a British independent school
- They want to enter a language school or International study centre in the UK
- For their own knowledge; they want to know how they compare to British students of the same age
- They want to set an objective to see how they progress over the year before entering an educational institution that communicates in English
- Their English teacher would like to set targets to be achieved every six months to ensure the student achieves their very best
UKiset for Schools
If you are a UK school and interested in using UKiset as your pre-selection or school entrance test, please contact us. We welcome all schools to join the UKiset network whether based in the UK or internationally. Over the years, schools using UKiset as part of their admissions process will benefit from the rich bank of data that is being created. We provide, free of charge, regular statistics, trends and information on recruitment patterns from around the world.
Benefits for schools
Principally UKiset has been designed to help identify the most suitable candidates for your school. It provides an accurate indicator of an overseas applicant’s academic abilities and compares them directly against their British peers in the UK and specifically, in the independent sector. It may also:
- dovetail nicely with your own baseline testing
- eliminate unnecessary paperwork and wasted administrative time
- reduce or eliminate the setting and marking of your own papers
- allow decisions to be made much more quickly.
The UKiset profile for schools consists of a complete overview of the candidate’s potential. The aim is to provide enough information for schools to make an informed decision on whether this applicant is a good fit for them and whether they wish to pursue this application further. The School Profile includes:
- A full student profile sheet, including a photo and full contact details Standardised scores for core processing skills, verbal, non-verbal and maths
- Comparisons with the British state and independent sectors Scores include Stanine and National Percentile Ranking Predicted future grades at GCSE and A-Level (where appropriate)
- Current CEFR level and IELTS-equivalent English score
- Their English essay
UKiset for Agents
UKiset is a set of assessments that many British independent schools ask overseas students to take. The results show how the candidate compares to students of the same age in the British school system and more specifically, within independent schools. The evaluation tests the child’s underlying learning skills – through tests of verbal, non-verbal and mathematical reasoning; and their level of English – in reading, listening and writing.
How does it work?
You or the family can register candidates for UKiset online. A test is arranged locally for the student – UKiset has a large network of test centres worldwide, and will endeavour to find an appropriate test centre location for every candidate. The candidate chooses which schools they would like to send their results to. Within 24 hours of the test taking place the UKiset profile report is sent to you, the family and any selected schools. School choices can be made either before the test takes place or after the results have been seen.
How does it benefit your clients?
The enormous benefit is that UKiset is a single assessment that can be used to apply to multiple schools. Before UKiset, students would have to prepare for and sit unique tests for every school they applied for – this could mean hours of preparation and testing over a number of weeks. UKiset can be sent to schools prior to registering with them. This means that applying for competitive places at selective schools becomes much cheaper – as families only pay registration fees at the schools where their child has a chance of gaining a place.
Secondly, by using UKiset to assess your client’s learning potential and English, you the agent/consultant, have an independent, internationally-recognised evaluation upon which to base your advice. You may wish to advise on additional English support and tutoring; or help the family choose more realistic school choices; or help them aim for the very best school. UKiset provides the evidence to back up this advice. You will also get faster responses from schools. With UKiset, schools can make decisions much faster – allowing you to work with more clients.
Key Facts About UKiset
- UKiset takes approximately 2 hours to complete
- In general results are processed within 3 business days of the test taking place
- UKiset can be taken all over the world at authorised test centres, or in the UK at our head office, and at some selected schools. The UKiset team will help arrange the test date
- Schools request UKiset because it provides credible information on an applicant’s academic potential and suitability for their learning environment. Some schools conduct further testing or will interview the candidate after seeing their UKiset Profile
- UKiset costs £295. This is a one-off fee that includes:
- Test arrangement
- All invigilation fees
- Results to the candidate and your academic agent (if you have one)
- The full UKiset Profile sent to up to 5 schools of your choice
- Schools can be chosen before or after the test
- Results are valid for one year
- The test can be re-taken after 6 months